Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day Everyone...especially Mom

So I was surfing the internet t'other day when I remembered that, in the past, people had these individual sites called "blogs" and that, in fact, I had had my own such blog which I updated on rare occasion. I typed in my URL to see if it was still up and, to my amazement, it was. However, I didn't have anything to post until now.

You see, today is Mother's day, and if there's anything I love to blog about it's Mom. Now I know what you're thinking, "You're going to write one of your Mom-posts on Mother's day? How cruel." And the answer to your hypothetical thought is "No, I'm going to keep this post very civil. After all, Mom is like a brother to me."

Actually, the last few times I've talked to Mom she's been surprisingly pleasant--almost uncomfortably so. I kept expecting her to break character, but she never did. Of course the skeptic in me thought she was metaphorically building a gingerbread cottage in Virginia City (à la 'Hansel and Gretel'). But the psychoanalyst in me grasped on to this quote from her recent blog post .


Today I, David and Craig and I went to Virginia City for a picnic and I dropped Craig and DavidDad off for the much awaited 10 mile bike ride down hill to our home.
"I, David and Craig and I"!? Don't you see? Multiple personalities! I must have been talking to the nice side (we'll call her 'Mom') and not the other side (we'll call her 'moM' [Mom spelled backwards]). I remember 'Mom' being around more often when I was younger but this 'moM' character has been running the show for the last several years.

So, as I was reminiscing about 'Mom' I remembered one of her favorite poems:


"I love you, Mother," said little John;
Then, forgetting his work, his cap went on.
And he was off to the garden swing,
Leaving his mother the wood to bring.

"I love you, Mother," said little Nell,
"I love you more than tongue can tell."
Then she teased and pouted half the day.
'Til her mother was glad when she went to play.

I love you, Mother," said little Fan,
"To-day I'll help you all I can;
How glad I am that school doesn't keep!"
So she rocked the baby till he fell asleep.

Then stepping softly, she took the broom,
And swept the floor, and dusted the room.
Busy and happy all day was she;
Helpful and happy as a child could be.

"I love you, Mother," again they said,
Three little children going to bed.
How do you think that mother guessed
Which of them really loved her best?

I thought 'moM' might enjoy a poem of her own, so I jotted down this one:



"I love you, Mother," said Anabelle;
Then, 'forgetting' her script, she waved farewell.
And she was off to catch her flight,
Leaving her mother a play to write.

"I love you, Mother," said accountant Dirk,
"But this plan of yours will not work."
And he spoke logic half the day.
'Til his mother was glad when he went away.

"I love you, Mother," said brain-dead Blanche,
"I'll be a part of your guest ranch;
And all who come will be truly blessed!"
So she sewed a dozen cowboy vests.

Then, driving through Virginia City,
She lied and said "This place is pretty".
They talked and talked and talked some more,
About Nevada winning the Civil War.

"I love you, Mother," again they'll say,
When they talk to her on Mother's Day.
How do you think that mother'll guess
Which of them really loves her best?

Well, before I go, let me wish a happy Mother's Day to all the great moms in our family. And, Mom, I hope you know that I love and appreciate you (though I'm not too fond of that 'moM' lady you've been hanging around with).

9 comments:

Marae said...

hahahaha
A+++
from Ben and me!

Craig said...

You think mom is "like a brother" to you? I don't know if that is saying much, for our family. But it (the blog) was still pretty funny. Great Stuff.

Elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kier said...

you have outdone yourself, please don't stop blogging!

Lizzylou said...

You're once yearly post just isn't enough. You are too great, to keep us waiting a whole year. Love you neB.:)

Unknown said...

Thanks Ben, I love it when you blog, even if it is crazy things about me and embarrassing pictures.
I love you too. Can't get rid of this crazy dream of working together as a family and stretching ourselves for a meaningful and fun experience for others.

Linda said...

Sorry, I am commenting on your dad's computer and the comment was really mine if you didn't figure it out.

Rachel said...

Ok that was funny Ben. Rachel had to bring me in to explain the poem and I had a great laugh

Pearl said...

Love you always Ben. Uncle Greg sent me a Mother's Day card once that said. "It must be easy to be a great mother when you have so many great children". One mother said "I was a fantastic mother until I got all these kids (children)." Our families are wonderful! Not perfect but what a lovely bouquet.. each one a bud but a flower in embryo. ruokiLove all of you Grandma